Monday, June 13, 2011

Guest Blogger...McKenzie Healy

"Everything happens for a reason." Always a firm believer of these words, but my time here in Juneau has made me an even stronger advocate. I truly believe the coincidences and timing of all the events in my hectic life brought me to this breathtakingly beautiful place for a reason. We spent the good portion of my third day hiking to a glacier. The very second we reached the end of the trail and were standing face to face with the enormous glacier, we saw a gigantic chunk the size of a small house crash into the water, followed by several other smaller pieces calving. This was by far one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in mother nature and I couldn't help but think "what are the odds"? Our timing to see this was so spot on and couldn't help but loop this back to everything happening for a reason. There was a reason we accidentally took the wrong trail and had to backtrack, a reason we had difficulties crossing the river, a reason we chose to start the hike at a certain time and a reason we stopped to see a porcupine. All these reasons lead me to a great thing. I have realized how important it is to stop dissecting every little thing and wondering why. Just let it be. Weather its an hour from now, or 20 years, I will know exactly why this happened, because everything happens for a reason. The slower pace, cleaner air, friendlier people and way of life was just the change I needed. 

I have loved "walking in Nicole's shoes" for the past few days. I was able to meet her friends and roommates, eat at her favorite restaurants, walk her favorite trails, and drink at that one bar she goes to once a month. NYC to Alaska was a bit of an adjustment, but its a remarkable place where I have made memories that will last a lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment