Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Humpback Ballet

Today was one of the most beautiful days in Juneau so far (see below). During my morning meeting with my supervisor she asked if I'd ever been whale watching. I said no. She asked if I wanted to go in a half hour, for free. I said yes. Living the AK dream. 
My camera died early on in the trip, which I was kind of glad about...I was just able to sit back and take it all in. We saw a pod humpbacks bubble net feeding about 4 or 5 times. This is when about a dozen of them rise to the surface at the same time, mouths agape, capturing as many fish as possible. It's like a choreographed routine. They all work together to make the feeding process most productive. Teamwork makes the dream work! Can't really explain it in words, or in pictures. Mother nature rocks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment