Sunday, May 22, 2011

Guest Blogger..Maeve Rafferty

A post by Maeve (just visiting too, although I'd be lying if I didn't think about moving here)

It's another peaceful morning in Juneau.
Our mornings seem to have a sort of ritual or tradition to them.  
Nicole is first to wake (of course) and I stumble downstairs a few hours after, 
 with few words and eyes fixed on the coffee pot.
Dre tells stories & makes us breakfast.  Today was breakfast burritos, made with leftovers from dinner the night before.  
Waldt wakes to our chatter and noise in the kitchen.
I could get used to these mornings.

As Dre so eloquently wrote, Alaska invites you to slow down.  
From the moment we arrived I have felt a call to be still.  
A call to be quiet and just listen.  
When I choose to be quiet and listen, I begin to hear more in the silence.
The air smells better here- 
somehow all the elements of nature fuse together to make one, fresh aroma.
I remember taking my first deep breath in and feeling clean, 
feeling as though I just inhaled all of earths beauty. 
 Feeling as though I wanted more of it.
I wish I could take a little bit of it home with me in a jar to keep 
and share with others when I get back.
We enjoyed an afternoon in Nicole's office for lunch, 
and were lucky enough to meet the amazing women she works with.  
After lunch we found a fellow Duke and made sure to take a photo 
proudly holding our JAC cards,  before saying goodbye.


Each day we explore a new trail and I am in awe of the view.  
Each way I turn welcomes something powerful, 
something overwhelmingly beautiful that it is almost intimidating.  
I have fallen in love with hiking- the rocks and soft dirt trail, the infinite challenge, your heart racing and endorphins bursting, the views-beautiful views over and over again, the trees, making it to the top - 
can I do this everyday?
Alaska has reminded me that nature deserves my full attention, 
being outdoors and dirty is way more fun, 
our bodies are designed to move, 
taking time to smell the roses or mountains and glaciers is a priority, 
coffee in the morning with amazing friends should be savored 
 and finding adventure in each new day is possible.                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment