Saturday, May 21, 2011

Guest Blogger...Andrea Mellonakos

A post by Dre (Don't worry- I didn't move here, I am just visiting!)

Alaska is remarkable. 

I love words. I love writing and finding the most perfect way I know how to describe something. (And if you know me, I think you know that it isn't usually a problem for me to find something (anything) to say) But Alaska has left me with no words to properly justify how freeing, refreshing, and necessary it is to feel small. The mountains are surrounding us, the air is crisp and different, and the pace of life is slow.

 Every time I turn around, the view is better than the last. Our time here has been so life-giving and restoring. It's hard to describe. In Alaska I've felt so small that's made me emotional (well, more emotional), thankful, and energized. Like I said, it's hard to describe so I will stop trying to find a way to describe it. This place and the feeling it evokes in me has been a gift. I've been pleasantly surprised. I'm in awe of the natural canvas we are given as a backdrop on which to paint our lives. 

So. I encourage you to go get dirty. There is a lot to see out there. I'm glad I was reminded this week that we are a small piece to a big, wonderful, beautiful puzzle. 

I am reminded of a Kerouac quote I simply love. 

"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."

Here are some photos from the first two days of our adventure. We visited a glacier, did some hiking, and enjoyed the warm sunshine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment