Sunday, December 5, 2010

I Feel Home

I've come to define "home" as a place where I feel comfortable, where I feel at peace and where it just feels right. 
After a few months in Juneau, it feels like home. I know the bus routes down to the minute. I know that just because it's dark out doesn't mean it's nighttime. I have a warm winter coat,  insulated rain-boots and special attachments for the bottom of my shoes so that I don't take a spill on the ice. I know that just because you're from Alaska, doesn't mean you like Sarah Palin. I see familiar faces everywhere I go and I make small talk at the grocery store. I give tourists directions. I know which stores have free wine at the monthly gallery walks. It doesn't sound weird when I hear someone talking about going "to the glacier" or "out the road" (there's only one). I have fun and supportive friends and colleagues who know that I love oats and enjoy wandering. I've become accustomed to spectacular views everywhere I look and have to keep reminding myself that this isn't normal. I am SO blessed to see this beauty daily. I never imagined that I would add Juneau, Alaska to my list of places I call home, but I am filled with Joy by the thought of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment